Thursday, 26 July 2007

Storage sorted...



The carradice saddle bag worked really well on Tuesdays 50km / lots of climbing ride. The extra weight did feel like a flat rear tyre but because it was centred under my CoG and not over the rear axle it rode really well. The two side pockets were really good for tools / tubes / money and keys and the main compartment held the bulk of the other stuff.

I managed to pack all the clothes, 1st aid kit and spares into the saddle bag with only the camera, arm-warmers, jacket and food in the bar bag. Total weight was 1Kg for the bar bag and 4Kg for the saddle bag which is pretty good considering the weight of the bags and amount of kit. I plan to thin down on a couple of things and try different packing arrangements plus a way of carrying my camera so I can get to it easier (and so it does not sway about round my neck!)

One option is a small camelbak which would also allow a little more H2O and things like the camera could be attached to the shoulder straps (did I say I was a BIG fan of gaffer tape? :) ) and allow easier (and cleaner) drinking with bottles only being used for re-fills (and I plan on bottles with spout covers anyway!) I am really weary of carrying stuff on my back but I think in this case it might be the best way.

My next big choice is whether to re-build my wheels with beefier rims or stick with the MA3's which have held up really well over the last 3years...

4 comments:

Cellarrat said...

I've been toying with going to Open pro's myself...

I'd say if it anit broke?

Alex said...

It is broke now...front one has a bit of a kick in it from a hidden rock on Sunday :)

DT TK7.1 disc / regular turned up today, might try and build them tomorrow.

Great news about your hip!

Alex

Nick said...

If you're carrying a camelback these guys make handy cases for cameras

http://www.ccscentre.co.uk/

I use one of their cases to carry a compact either on the shoulder strap or the waistband.

Hjalti said...

How does bag sway affect you when you are climbing out of the saddle? I run a Nelson Longflap between a couple of bikes and it can really swing around back there. I ended up getting a bagman QR rack and it stabilizes things nicely.