Thursday, 9 September 2010

Loosing teeth and weight...

...and gaining bags. No I am not suffering from some terrible disease but amassing kit for the Tour Divide.

First up is a lovely Velo Solo singlespeed sprocket in 18t, 2 lower than I have been running for a while. While I will miss the winch-ability up loose climbs I hope that training with a harder gear will pay dividends when I fit all the bike packing gear and swap back to the 20t.

Weight loss comes courtesy of Mountain Warehouse. I was after some light weight baggy shorts to wear over my cycling shorts as the Lycra look is not always welcome, especially with legs like mine! So I looked at all the usual suspects and found that a) they came with various pop-in liner shorts that I did not want and b) had so many useless pockets, zips and buckles I would be suffering from Betty Swallocks in about 10minutes (as Nepal taught me!)

So I was toying with the Endura Humvee Lightweight but at £45 a pop it was a lot to spend to see if they were any good. Mountain Warehouse did some shorts in lightweight fast drying material for £10. Fit is good and they are not too baggy.

The bags in question are the frame bag and gas tank from Eric at Revelate. The frame bag is a little wider for fitting extra water in, mesh side pocket for little bits and a removable divider at the back. The gas tank has plenty of room for snacks, camera and other stuff you need to hand.

Other news is that some of my words have been published on the Alpkit website, I hope to keep them abreast of my preparation so keep an eye on their website.

Looking forward to trying all three out, weather depending, and will report back onhow it went.

Alex






No comments: